Thursday 26 January 2012

I organized a play date this week.  Invited 7 or 8 parents with their toddlers and infants to come by for an afternoon of fun.  I started out with about 7 parents intending to come this would have made it 5 toddlers and 7 babes!  I was delighted.  Baked bread pudding, rice crispy squares, made guacamole!  Hyped T man up for three days about our friends coming to play and how we would share the toys etc.  As life with kids often happens - by this morning I was down to 3 or 4 parents, and by 3 pm I had 2 moms with babes.

I'm not sure if it's completely accurate to call this a lemonade situation or not.  Of course it was a little disappointing.  Especially for Trystan who was still waiting at 5pm for "the guys" to come play.  I enjoy all the people who were invited and would have been so pleased to host the group.  However, the kind of conversation you have with just 2 other women is very different than in a larger mixed group.  We talked about everything - and anything - and it felt like such a loving, supportive little trio!  We nibbled treats and talked about life, husbands, babies.  We laughed at ourselves and shared stories about how ridiculous we are when we're sleep deprived.  It was delightful!

I've been struggling a little with the direction of my blogging.  I know there really doesn't have to be a specific direction - in fact - that's been my struggle.  I didn't intend to write about being a mother all the time.  But that seems to have been what's emerged.  I guess that's because it's all I do right now.  But I feel so strongly about the fact that it's not all I am!  So I've been trying to write about other things too - and it doesn't feel right.  It feels forced and empty.  I always come back to "mothering".  Today during our mommy play date I came to realise that writing about my experience is serving a purpose beyond mothering.  It's allowing other women (parents maybe) to relate - feel less alone, connect in the experience.  I didn't realise how many people have been reading along and enjoying these little snip its!  So - when I feel like it I'll insert other items - but for now I think you're going to keep seeing a lot about my day to day mommy hood!  I think it's healthy for all of us and I am enjoying the process.
(Hold on to your hats when I get the time to talk about Potty training.  It'll be a poopapalooza!)

Now - I made a promise to e-mail the Ellen Show tonight, so I'm off to write that note.  (It's a long story)

Goodnight - to my lovely ladies of the day!
Goodnight to the mommies and Jay that we missed out on!
G'Night - to my anonymous readers.  I'm intrigued by you.  I want to know more!

No comments:

Post a Comment