Friday 23 December 2011

'Roxy' and 'The Voice'

This is the first of what I'm sure will be many entries about 'Roxy' and 'The Voice'.  Today is for Roxy.

We met several years ago by happenstance and I think our friendship developed as much out of curiosity as anything else.  On paper we have very little in common.  Roxy's not much of a talker - I could talk the ass end off a mule!  Roxy loves all things Urban - I am happiest when I'm off grid.  Roxy loves to shake things up and be shocking - I spend way too much energy trying NOT to rock the boat! And on it goes...

I'm quite certain that in the early days of getting to know each other Roxy would answer my phone calls with a sigh and a fake smile.  But over the years we have developed a unique, kind of familial bond that I think we both cherish deeply ( I know I do).  We respect and admire each other for the very differences that, in another life, would have stood between us. 

This is probably the most unexpected and delightful friendship I have ever made - and it's taught me a lot about friendship in general.  It's made me realize that we miss out on a lot of amazing people by seaking out those who are too similar to ourselves.  It's taught me to be bold - and that curiosity is a damn good reason to seek out a friend!  I've also learned how to get to know a person by listening and observing rather than asking a lot of questions (Roxy's favorite response is "I don't know").  These are big lessons!!  Big steps outside my typical M.O.

In addition to being dear friends, Roxy and The Voice are also two of the most unique characters I've ever known.  Where ever they go a good story is sure to evolve.  There's a few D. D.Diamonds in the vault I look forward to sharing.  All in good time.

G'Night

No comments:

Post a Comment