Tuesday 27 December 2011

It's easier to teach than to un-teach

The other night I was reading to my son in his bed when I noticed the cat was scratching the sofa at the end of the hall.  I put on my "angry voice" and yelled "Hiway - stop it" then I picked up a toy foot ball and launched it down the hall.  I DID NOT aim for or hit the cat.  In the eyes of a three year old however this was murderous behaviour!  "Mommy" he said with a sad and scolding look.  "Don't throw my ball at Hiway"!  I explained that I only meant to scare Hiway away from the sofa - then conceeded that he was right - I should not throw balls at Hiway (for shame Mommy). 
My son, satisfied that he had taught me a lesson, then got out of bed to retrieve his ball.  When he got to the end of the hall he looked at Hiway  - took a deep breath and roared "Stop it Hiway"!  The poor creature had been eating it the kitchen.  She flew across the room and down the stairs faster than I've ever seen her move.  Trystan looked at me with a proud smile "see Mommy, I'm not nice too"!
I have some un-teaching to do :(

1 comment:

  1. Awwww..that was probably the only 'not nice' thing he's ever seen you do...ok, maybe the third:)))

    ReplyDelete