Thursday 22 December 2011

John Denver

So...the scene was this:
I borrowed my parents car for a short road trip while they took care of the boys.  This kind of down time, time alone is a rare opportunity for me.  I hopped in the car turned on the stereo and headed off.  John Denver started crooning and I was crooning right along.  Why - you might ask does a 36 year old woman have the ability to croon with good ole John?...Well I just do  -ok!?
About 10 minutes down the road "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" came on.  I love that zippy fun song!  I cranked it up and started to dance in my seat - and then....I cried.  Not just "Oh the sun's in my eyes" kind of tears but big soppy inconsolable ugly tears.  The kind that probably should have made me pull over.  WHAT!??  Why was I crying??  I still don't really know.  I think it was a combination of many factors.  Fatigue, excitement, good memories and the realization that my little babes weren't in the back seat,  I was by myself for the first time in a very long time and though I was pleased about it - it felt foreign and lonely.

I composed myself and continued driving.  Another song came on...I started to sing along...I realized that Eric would really make fun of me if he knew, that I knew all the words to all these old cheesy songs.  I laughed out loud to myself and started singing again - and then ....I cried.

Maybe sometimes you just need a little John Denver and a good cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment